LIVE: The Ashes – England vs Australia: Second Test hangs in the balance on day four as Steve Smith resumes at the crease for tourists
- Australia will resume at 80 for four on the fourth day of the second Test
- The tourists are 178 runs behind England in first innings of rain-affected match
- Steve Smith will resume at the crease on 13 not out with Matthew Wade
- Jofra Archer took his maiden wicket on Friday to remove Cameron Bancroft
- LAST WICKET: Wade c Burns b Broad 6, Australia 102 for five (Trail by 156)
Scroll down for live commentary
Steve Smith resumes at the crease at the start of day four as Australia look to chase down England’s first-innings total of 258 at Lord’s.
Australia lead the Ashes 1-0 after their victory at Edgbaston, and a rain-affected second Test now enters its fourth day in the capital.
Day three saw Jofra Archer take his first Test wicket for England, and the hosts will be hoping for some early Australian casualties on Saturday morning.
Smith is unbeaten on 13 alongside Matthew Wade, who is yet to score.
The tourists are still 178 runs behind Joe Root’s side with six wickets remaining and will resume on 80 for four under sunny skies on Saturday morning.
England bowler Stuart Broad is aiming for some quick scalps: ‘Our bowling unit’s aim is to get the next six wickets by lunch and then ideally bat until an hour or half an hour before lunch on day five and try to force a result that way,’ he said.
‘This pitch has got 10 good balls in it in each day. Hopefully we’ll be bowling last, and there’s a bit of dryness, so Jack Leach could come into the game with good footholes. I think there is chance of a result.’
Join Sportsmail‘s JAMES DUTTON for live commentary of the fourth day…