An Everton player has reportedly been moved into a safe house after being released on bail. The international footballer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested by Greater Manchester Police on Friday on suspicion of alleged child sex offences. The player is said to strenuously deny the allegations.
The Daily Mail claim that the Everton man is living in temporary accommodation, provided by the club.
They also report that the club are providing their employee with around the clock support.
A source told the Daily Mail: “I’m told from a reliable source that he is in a safe house that Everton got him and he is being supported 24/7.”
One of the players’ sponsors has already pulled his name from promotional materials.
Officers apparently searched his home and seized items earlier this month.
The Everton ace has not been charged with any offences and is currently on police bail pending further enquiries.
The Toffees have confirmed that a player has been suspended through a statement, but have not named the man in question.
A spokesman for Everton said: “We can confirm we have suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation.
“The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time.”
Greater Manchester Police said on Monday: “Officers arrested a man on Friday, July 16 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences. He is on police bail pending further enquiries.”