Second Pret A Manger customer died after allergic reaction

0
228


A second Pret A Manger customer has died after having an allergic reaction to sandwich bought from the chain.

An investigation is under way after a customer with a dairy allergy collapsed and died in December 2017 after eating a vegan wrap bought in a branch in Bath, which had been contaminated with milk protein.


The Sunday Times reports the customer’s sandwich choice was a super veg rainbow wrap, made with CoYo yoghurt, a dairy free brand, and the death triggered a national recall of the product.

In a statement, Pret A Manger said: “CoYo, the dairy-free yoghurt brand which supplies supermarkets and shops across the UK, mis-sold to Pret a guaranteed dairy-free yoghurt that was found to contain dairy protein. This is believed to have resulted in the tragic death of a customer from an allergic reaction in December 2017.

“As soon as Pret was made aware of this incident by Bath Council, it withdrew all affected products. Subsequent testing by Pret and two independent authorities found that the CoYo dairy-free yoghurt contained traces of dairy protein. Pret informed the FSA which led to a national product recall from all supermarkets and businesses supplied by CoYo.

“Pret terminated its relationship with CoYo UK and is in the process of taking legal action.

“Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of our customer in this terrible case and we will seek to assist them in any way we can.”

CoYo is yet to comment on the death, but announced in February it was “devastated” to discover dairy in its yoghurts “especially as being dairy-free sits at the heart of everything we do”.

“We’ve carried out a thorough review of our ingredients and we have identified that the contaminated material was provided to us by an external third-party supplier,” a statement added.

Image:
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse on a plane before she died from a sesame allergy

It comes after the inquest into the death of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, who collapsed on board a flight after consuming a baguette that contained sesame seeds which she had bought at a Pret outlet in Heathrow airport in 2016.

The sandwich had not been marked as containing the seeds, which she was severely allergic to.

A coroner said the chain had failed to address the seriousness of food allergies, with the teenager’s father Nadim Ednan-Laperouse accusing the company of a “complete dereliction of duty”.

Pret has announced that full ingredient labelling will be introduced to all products that are freshly made in its shop kitchens.

The firm said it will begin trialling the move from next month and plans to roll this out to all UK shops as quickly as possible.

Pret said it was “deeply sorry” for the death of Natasha.


By

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here