And now Bolton are facing the very real threat of a two window EFL transfer embargo unless the players are paid by Monday.
Wanderers had been placed under prohibition notice by the area’s Safety Advisory Group.
The SAG had deemed fans’ safety at the stadium could not be guaranteed. But the club have managed to “reassure” the group that staff and stewards will be paid, and the notice was last night lifted.
An SAG spokesman said: “We recognise that Bolton Wanderers is at the heart of our community and this has been a deeply regrettable situation.
“Partners are going above and beyond to put the plans in place to make sure games go ahead.
“Safety and security have always been our primary concern and we are pleased that the club has been able to reassure us that they are able to host the game.”
Wanderers’ controversial Ken Anderson said: “I would like to thank all the agencies involved as well as the council for their support.”
But on Thursday night, Bolton’s players, who trained yesterday after ending their 48 hour strike, revealed that while staff had finally been paid their March wages, the squad and key support personnel are yet to receive their salaries.
They said in a statement: “We are happy that our actions have resulted in the non-playing staff being paid their March salaries.
“Unfortunately none of the players or management staff have been paid yet, and we have now asked the PFA and Football League to deal with the situation.”
Bolton, currently looking to avoid a winding-up order, had seen their players refuse to train for two days this week in protest at unpaid wages.
Anderson, who is attempting to sell the club, had questioned the loyalty of the players for striking on behalf of staff – some of who were reportedly in financial hardship.
The club were back in court on Wednesday over an unpaid tax bill but the case has been adjourned until May 8 to allow a proposed sale of the club to former Watford owner Laurence Bassini.