Arsenal news: Man pleads guilty to attempted robbery of Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac | Football | Sport

0
87


A man has pleaded guilty to the attempted robbery of Arsenal duo Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac.

Ashley Smith admitted to trying to steal some watches from the pair in July. Smith will now be sentenced on November 1.


Earlier this summer, the pair were targeted by knife-wielding muggers on a moped.

The incident was captured on local CCTV, and subsequently went viral on social media. Kolasinac was seen chasing the attackers away.

Following the attempted robbery, Ozil and Kolasinac were omitted from the Arsenal squad after a security threat.

The Gunners increased security around the pair, and Ozil hired his own security to protect his house.

The very next day, Ozil tweeted that they were both “doing well again”.

At the time, a police statement read: “We were called to Platts Lane, NW3, shortly before 5pm to reports of an attempted robbery.

“It was reported that suspects on motorbikes had attempted to rob a man.

“The driver, along with his passenger, managed to get away unharmed and travelled to a restaurant in Golders Green, where they were spoken to by officers.

“There have been no arrests. Enquiries continue.”

A property owner near where the attack took place said that he had been targeted five times in the same area.

“I had a knife held to my neck at midday at the traffic lights,” he told the BBC.

“I was physically thrown in a bus lane at 06:30 when I was coming out of my office – the list goes on and on.”

The Arsenal duo weren’t the first footballers to be targeted by attackers in London.

Newcastle United’s Andy Carroll was threatened at gunpoint in 2016 on his way home from training, when he was playing for West Ham United.



By

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here